The key to success is to thoroughly clean the area, as soon as possible.
Get some paper towels and blot up as much as you can as soon as you are first aware the cat used the area.
- Cover the area with a towel or a pile of paper towels and stand on them. You may have to do this several times.
- When you have soaked up as much as you possibly can, get out the carpet cleaner or use a few drops of dish detergent mixed with water. Saturate the area with this, and just let it sit on the area for an hour or two. No scrubbing
- Rinse the area by gently blotting. Wet a sponge with tap water and rinse the area again.
- Soak the area with club soda for ten minutes.
- Blot up the club soda and place fresh paper towels or a fresh towel over the area.
- Weigh down the towels with something heavy, e.g., books, furniture, etc., and leave overnight.
- In the morning, spray the area with an enzymatic cleaner. There are many on the market. Here at OSU Veterinary Hospital, we carry F.O.N. (Feline Odor Neutralizer), A.O.E. (Animal Odor Eliminator), K.O.E. (Kennel Odor Eliminator), F.E.O. (Feline Elimin Odor), and "Equalizer" a foaming carpet cleaner. You will need to follow the directions for the individual enzymatic cleaner.
- Never use ammonia or ammonia-based products on the carpet. The smell may attract the cat to that area and can encourage cats to urinate in the area.
- Keep the cat away from the area.
- If the smell is bad and the cat continues to use this area despite all the cleaning, replace the padding underneath and clean the area under the carpet.
- Wipe up the puddle with paper towels or a mop soaked in soapy water.
- Clean area thoroughly and rinse with warm water.
- Wipe the area with a sponge dampened with white vinegar.
- Let the area air-dry.
Hardwood and Cement
- Blot up as much liquid as you can, then use an enzymatic cleaner.
- If the smell is strong, or if this has concrete, or sand down, bleach, and refinish your hardwood floors.
- Machine-wash your laundry using a cup of white vinegar and no detergent.
- When the laundry cycle finishes, add detergent and wash regularly.